This is one of my favorite dishes to make. Potatoes are one of the greatest foods on earth. Since I’m sort of lactose intolerant this butter-free version is perfect. People always ask for second servings. It pairs beautifully with Martellotto Chardonnay.
Master this basic recipe and I promise it will become a staple in your house. Spice it up with a little truffle salt and crushed red pepper. Add some gorgonzola and pair it with grilled steak. Or make it a quick main dish by folding in sautéed sausage or chopped bacon. Serve with a side of greens or peas.
Martellotto Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs Idaho russet potatoes, peeled. 3-4 large potatoes.
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- Sea salt
- 1/3 cup high quality EVOO
- Freshly grated parmigiano reggiano to taste
- Bring enough water to cover potatoes to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and garlic to the water. Cook on a medium boil for 20 minute until potatoes are tender. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the water.
- Press potatoes and garlic through a potato ricer*. Add EVOO to taste. Add reserved water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in fresh grated parmigiano reggiano (1/4-1/2 cup)
*A potato ricer is the secret to this recipe. Buy one and your mashed potatoes are guaranteed to be light and fluffy.